750ml flour | 10ml salt | 10ml sugar | 10g sachet of instant yeast | 50ml olive oil | 400-500ml warm water | 60ml chopped black olives | 60ml chopped green olives | extra oil for brushing
- Put the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil and enough warm water to mix to a dough that is soft but not sticky. Knead well until smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough in an oiled plastic bag and leave to rise in a warm place until double in size.
- Remove dough and knead lightly.
- Knead the olives into the dough. Shape the dough into an oval loaf and place on a greased baking tray, cover with an oiled plastic bag and leave to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Brush the surface with olive oil and bake at 190°C for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove and cool on a rack.
GREEN OLIVES IN CHEESE PASTRY (Makes 12)
250ml grated Cheddar cheese | 100g butter, softened | 310ml flour | 5ml dry mustard powder | 2ml salt | 12 large green stuffed olives, drained
- Put the cheese, butter, flour, mustard and salt in a food processor and process until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Remove from the processor, wrap in cling film and set aside for 30 minutes. Break off pieces of pastry and mould around an olive. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Repeat with remaining dough and olives. Bake at 180°C for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool. Delicious served as a cocktail snack.
CITRUS MARINATED OLIVES
250ml olive oil | 300g green olives in brine | 300g black olives in brine | 4 bay leaves | 4 sprigs of rosemary | 1-2 red chilies, seeded and sliced | a few strips of lemon rind | a few strips of orange rind | 60ml red wine vinegar
- Pour oil into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until just warm. Divide olives, bay leaves, rosemary, chili, rind and vinegar between sterilised glass jars. Pour over warm olive oil. Seal.
- Turn jars upside down and stand for five minutes. Turn upright.
- Allow to infuse for one week, turning once daily.
OLIVE TAPENADE (Makes 125ml)
250ml black olives, pitted | 50ml chopped parsley | 5ml chopped garlic | 2-3 anchovy fillets | 30-60ml olive oil
- Put the olives, parsley, garlic and anchovies into a processor and process until finely chopped.
- With the machine running, add in the olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Store in a jar in the refrigerator and serve on slices of toasted baguette.
* For household queries, recipes and tips, call The Angela Day Helpline at 011 836 7181 from 8.30am-12.30pm weekdays, or e-mail Janice at firstname.lastname@example.org
* See www.angeladay.co.za